Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Upgrading or grinding to a halt!

Spent the weekend by getting around to upgrading my computer - had Mandrake 9.2 installed for about a year and have now moved to Mandrake 10.1. Went pretty well, I had a check list from the previous upgrade, which I used, and I did a fresh install rather than risking the builtin upgrade as that allows you to keep the two systems running while you get all the details fixed.

Biggest issue so far is with the system being slower in some particular operations:

  • When spamassassin runs - the tool we use for filing/deleting spam - the system suffers - CrackAttack just freezes! It was fine with 9.2 so I tried uninstalling the rpm package and using the 3.0.1 version (without the mandrake rpm). Same effect, not sure what's different with 10.1. Eventually tried running spamd/spamc and that appears to get around the problem
  • dansguardian - the web filterer, just crawls, disabled it for the moment, may try running an earlier version than 2.8.0.3 just to see if there's an improvement - was using a 2.6 version for 9.2

Also need to get MovableType running as well for my home weblogs! I've copied over the archives but at the moment I can't post!

No comments: