Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Tales from the checkout - 1

The first -I hope - of an ongoing series!

Last week sometime, I was asked 'are you a student' - unfortunately we don't sell glasses. Then at the end of the week, 'is this your retirement job'. I think the truth lies with Mister Inbetween!

On Sunday a colleague passed on to me a customer question - 'Where is Bali?', I said Indonesia, got the response 'But where is Bali in the store' which puzzled me no end! It was about 10 minutes later that I re-parsed the statement as 'Where is the barley' and things started dropping into place.

Then there was serving Neville Holder who quietly went through spending his royalties - not much if I remember his letter to the Guardian Notes and Queries a few weeks back!

Get a reasonable number of items per minute scanned in my first week and thought it should be much better next week and yesterday I saw it increased by 0.1 item/min. Ah well slowly and steadily!

No comments: