Sunday, April 01, 2007

A moment of passing


The Last Call for Comments (LCC) on 23 Mar 2007 initiated a five-day period
for final comments. Following the comment period, the Big-8 Management Board
has decided by consensus to remove the newsgroup news.software.anu-news.

This group will be removed on 03 Apr 2007.


RATIONALE: remove news.software.anu-news

The newsgroup news.software.anu-news has not had any on-topic messages
since November 2005, at which point there was a two-article thread.


from this posting. After a brief spell using rn I used anu-news for a few years when I was manager of a microVMS system in the late 1980's. I downloaded the source - you didn't often have non-OS pre-built packages on non-PC's in those days, found bugs in it messed around with the code - used it to post messages - of course (I see my phone number was in that message - trusting days...) after that I moved on to GNUS and then gnus which I still use but there's a moment's regret at the coming passing of an old friend to the great newsgroup in the sky.

No comments: