Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mugabe and Rome

Looks like the influence of Mugabe's recent visit to Rome has rubbed off. We protest - rightly about the demonisation of particular segments of the Zimbabwe population, we cannot remain silent in the face of this fascism rather closer to home. Here's Pliable on the same theme. Found via Jessica Duchen's web log who has more on the matter here as well as a wonderful youtube film of Roby Lakatos playing the violin - go and watch!
I've just finished reading Duchen's Hungarian Dances and it was an interesting experience reading that novel against snapshots of history that, alas, seem to be in danger of being replayed and having blogged links to articles on the aftermath of the Italian election at the same time it seemed very depressing.
I loved Bartók's Cantata Profana (which figures large in the Duchen book) when I was in my 20's and seem not to have listened to it recently - something I must rectify - I can still hear the terror of that hunt and the high,high tenor solo.

No comments: