Saturday, March 07, 2009

Listening to each other

Off this evening to a Bollington Chamber Concert to hear the Barbirolli Quartet (used to be the Stillmans). They played Mozart (K589), Brahms Op51 No 1, Emily Hall's 'From Listening to Trees' and the Ravel.
I was mainly there for the Ravel, not sure why I enjoyed it so much more than the Mozart or Brahms, maybe the surface sensousness, but it was a magical, rapt performance, much appreciated.
The Emily Hall was written for this Quartet - I see they're performing it in Woking tomorrow, strong Reich and Nyman influences (in my opinion) I began to enjoy the work more once they got past the first movement where I could hear fingerprints of 'Different Trains' all over it, the other two movements were more of her own voice and the work is well worth a listen.
But the evening - for me - belonged to the Barbirolli's performance of the Ravel!
(An account of our visit to this series last year is here)
We recommend you take a cushion for this venue - for the seats!

No comments: