Saturday, January 30, 2010

Names to treasure

Prompted by this posting on Stephen Hough's blog, I've just dug out a carefully preserved book of piano duets:

Yes, works by a W Oliphant and O Chuckerbutty, sandwiching a duet by Gladys A Wood (I quite like that name too!). Hough refers you to the Wikipedia article on Chuckerbutty and mentions that his name was Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty - though as the article says he also went by the shorter version Wilson Oliphant. I therefore think that this book has two Chuckerbutty pieces the first and last pieces being by the same person operating under two different names - clearly the publishers didn't know!
The duets are for learners and are fairly dull, we used to ham them up at university music evenings when I produced this treasure. The inside has a copyright date of 1933 and I think I acquired it, with some other duet works from a relative.

No comments: