Sunday, February 14, 2010

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Bit of a departure for this blog but having cooked these late last night on noticing that I was down to provide breakfast at Church and had, until then, forgotten - the shops were then closed and I needed something home made and quickly! I got at least one request for the recipe, so here it is (it is supposed to make 5-6 dozen - though I got around 90!):
1 cup raisins
1 cup water
Simmer these over a low heat while continuing with the rest of the recipe. Eventually drain liquid making up, if necessary to 1/2 cup.
3/4 lb (330g) soft margarine
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence - cream these together, stir in raisin liquid.
2.5 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp cloves (ground) - sift together, stir in and add 2 cups oats, 0.5 cup chopped nuts (I omitted these) and drained raisins.

Drop rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on ungreased baking trays. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Notes
This is my aged copy of a Scargill recipe - obviously you're meant to merge the two sets of ingredients before cooking! I used a (fan oven) temperature of 160 degrees C.
When I cooked them at Scargill, so 30 years ago, I seem to remember that they came out as rather doughy, but last night's were lovely and crisp!

No comments: