Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Teaser Tuesday - 23 March



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
I'm still in the midst of Hans Fallada's Alone in Berlin but I've been needing some light relief, the book is far too dark to read at bedtime and so this week's teaser is from Lily Prior's La Cucina:
I was filled with so much love for Bartolomeo that I feared I would burst if something did not happen soon. What that something was I did not know, for Mama kept me in a state of such complete innocence that at the age of seventeen I still did not know where babies came from, and thought that menstruation was the monthly consequence of eating too many artichokes.
Innocence, librarianship and cooking in rural Sicily. A sort of Italian equivalent of 'Like Water for Chocolate'. From the comments on Amazon it looks as if the resemblance to that book is a little too close! I'm also reading this as part of my 2010 Bibliophilic books challenge.

3 comments:

Kaye said...

Sounds interesting though despite the similarities to Water for Chocolate. Hope you're enjoying the book. My TT is here

Leya said...

I love your teaser! It's funny and sad at the same time. And now I want to read too. Thanks for sharing. :D

Lori said...

Cool teaser. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here's My Teaser