Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - 12 April



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
My turn to choose our book group's monthly book has come around again and rather than make a guess, possibly getting something no-one (including me!) likes I've gone for safety and a re-read - though I think it is a far from unchallenging book. Here's the teaser:
At one end of the promenade the notes of the brassband bounce like audible midges. At the far end, from the Kursaal's thé dansant salon, comes the subdued whine of a string quartet. Young women, slightly tipsy, and therefore, Bella assumes, probably American, come out of Damilano's wearing beach pyjamas and hats shaped like cones.
I thought I'd better include an extra sentence with something happening in it rather than just mood setting (but what similes!). 1930's Italy, the stillness before the storm - you just know unpleasant things and casual cruelties are about to be recalled. I last read it, shortly after publication back in October 2009.

2 comments:

Jessica @ Laugh Love Write said...

Haven't heard of this book before, so thanks for sharing.

My Teaser is a little different and based on author Olivia Cunning who is over at my blog today giving away free books.

Jessica @ Laugh Love Write

jlshall said...

Lovely teaser! This is one I've been interested in, too - I love novels set during this period. Good choice for your group read.