Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - 2 August



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
The floor above was dimly lit, the floor above that even dimmer, so the staircase ascended into shadows; the glass dome in the roof held the last of the evening twilight, and seemed suspended in the twilight, a great translucent disc. The silence was perfect.
And so the spookiness intensifies - early on in Sarah Waters The Little Stranger - very reminiscent of Henry James Turn of the Screw and I was also reminded of being taken - at the age of around 8 - to play the piano for an old lady - I've no idea who she was - and it was my piano teacher rather than my parents - living in a huge old house, or so it seemed to me, with servants. As a reward, I was given a set of bridge (the card game) score cards - nearly 10 years later I began to find them useful!
I enjoyed Waters' Night Watch so I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah Waters is a great author :)

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/teaser-tuesdays.html

Jennifer said...

This sounds like a book I wold enjoy.
My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/08/teaser-tuesdays-the-girls-of-murder-city.html

Anonymous said...

Not too spooky though.

Great teaser. My teaser is here

rajm said...

Not [too spooky] yet anyway! The cover reviewers anticipate it getting a lot scarier!