Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Teaser Tuesday - Oct 6


Teaser Tuesday
The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
The odour of this island would never change for her now. She smelled dust, rat droppings, decay, blood and bitterness.
A final teaser from Victoria Hislop's The Sunrise. We had the discussion last night - I still have a few chapters to go - it was an ok read but I wouldn't give it too high a score. I felt that it wasn't sure whether it was a novel, a travelogue or a history with great chunks of various styles sitting next to each other. Hislop's style tended to the melodramatic
The expression of demonic greed was unmistakeable..
and the way Aphroditi morphs from a bimbo into someone you're meant to identify with without any apparent reason. I think some of my misgivings were held by others in the group. Here's the goodreads discussion. The book caused me to read up on the history of Cyprus but for decaying hotels inhabited by refugees - I think JG Ballard does it a lot better!

No comments: